Hours-long standoff ends with arrest.

SAN LEANDRO — A “long and tiring effort” by police to talk down a man who had barricaded himself in an apartment unit Thursday ended Friday morning with the man in a hospital and under arrest, police said.

The hours-long standoff happened at the Springlake Village Apartments on Sweetwater Drive and began around 3 p.m. The drama ended around 5 a.m. on Friday. Police did not immediately identify the 42-year-old.

“This was a long and tiring effort by officers to safely detain the subject, so he could receive the help he desperately needs,” police spokesman Lt. Isaac Benabou said. “These are some of the most dangerous calls our officers have to handle. Patience, strategy  and restraint are the keys to a successful outcome.”

SWAT team members made it into the unit on the second floor after the man barricaded himself in the bathroom. A police dog found him, and SWAT team members soon followed as the man began beating the dog with a wooden stick, Benabou said.

The man already had started to slice his neck with a broken piece of glass by the time SWAT officers got into the bathroom, but they were able to intercede and keep him from further harm, Benabou said. A SWAT medic treated the man at the scene, before an ambulance took him to the hospital.

Officers earlier walked away from the Thursday standoff after hours of negotiations with the man proved futile and his erratic behavior began to even out, Benabou said. They spoke with his girlfriend, as well, to determine that she wasn’t at home and not at risk.

The man appeared confused and distraught and started throwing furniture items over the balcony when officers arrived to the original call Thursday. But Benabou said he would not come down from the balcony and that technically he had not committed a crime.

A few hours later, his girlfriend called police to report she’d been assaulted, Benabou said. She had several facial and head injuries when police arrived, and officers could hear her boyfriend yelling and screaming in the apartment. He also began throwing more property off the balcony, including some appliances, Benabou said.

Paramedics treated the woman as officers moved to safety and tried to speak with the man on a megaphone. When he didn’t respond, police contacted the SWAT team.

Benabou said that on the officers’ second trip to the residence, the man’s behavior became “dangerous and unpredictable” and that he was suspected of a crime in his girlfriend’s assault.

At 5 a.m., following what Benabou called hours of efforts to negotiate, the SWAT team entered the apartment.

Show More